The man who died when a blaze ripped through the stairwell of a Northampton block of flats became a father only two weeks ago.
Northampton, UK, 2 April 2008 - Police today confirmed the victim as a 32-year-old man who lived at the flats with his wife – who he married less than a year ago – and their new baby son.
He died of smoke inhalation after the blaze at Shoemaker Court in Kingsthorpe Hollow on Monday night.
Members of the Northamptonshire Somali Forum paid tribute to Liban Abdi, who died of smoke inhalation after the blaze.
Hassan Jama, chairman, said: "He was a family man and a hard-working young man. For this to happen to his family is so sad."
A post-mortem has been carried out on the body at Leicester Royal Infirmary where the cause of death was given as smoke inhalation.
News had spread quickly around Northampton's large Somali community, many of whom said they knew the young family.
Flats blaze: Toxic smoke may have killed man
Amina Omar, a friend of his wife, said: "I was at their wedding last year and I spoke to him quite
often when I saw him around town. He was a very quiet sort of person but he was a nice man."
Police are still appealing for anyone who was among a group of young people playing in or near the block of flats on Monday night at about 8pm to contact them.
A police spokesman said: "There is no suggestion that these young people have done anything wrong but they may have seen someone acting suspiciously."
Two children questioned in connection with the fire, a 14-year-old boy and a girl, 12, have been released by police pending further inquiries.
A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police said: "Officers believe they have identified the victim, a man in his 20s, and are now trying to trace the deceased man's family to inform them of his death.
"The investigation into the fire is continuing and police are still appealing for witnesses."
Witnesses can call police on 08453 700700.
Source: Northampton Chronicle & Echo