Hargeysa, Somaliland, 7 June , 2008 (SL Times) – Monday, Jun.2, Somaliland’s 3 national parties (Udub, Kulmiye and Ucid) issued a joint-press statement in which they declared that all obstructions and disagreements regarding the elections between the government and the opposition have been resolved.
The 3 parties agreed on the following (8) issues:
- To hold the presidential election before the local municipal elections.
- To give ample time for the completion of the voters registration prior to holding the elections.
- The National Election Commission should fix date for the presidential elections once the voters’ registration is completed nationwide.
- The presidential election should take place before 06/04/2009.
- Clauses in the voters registration law which relate to the presidential election be cancelled outright.
- If unforeseen circumstances determine cancellation of the presidential election that the 3 national political parties and the NEC will take responsibility in deciding appropriate action.
- That the opposition and the government make regular contact and hold consultations together.
- The 3 political parties should form a standing committee which will be responsible for developing an understanding and cooperation between the opposition and the government.
Source: Somaliland Times